Monday, November 10, 2008

THE CHILD PERRY WEPSI

Early on in college, John Power and I got into the delightful habit of exchanging the first letters of compound words, or names. For example, our college, Carson-Newman became "Narson Cewman", etc. One afternoon while I was enjoying some Papa Johns pizza, I switched the letters around on my 2 liter of Wild Cherry Pepsi and came up with the name that appears atop this blog.

From there, in conjunction with John, we created the character to fit the name. The Child Perry Wepsi was a British child star in the fifties. He rose to fame as the winningest contender on a British quiz show (never titled by me or John). The shtick basically entails a montage of several of Perry's answers from this quiz show. You never hear the question...the camera zooms in at different angles on the Child and you hear his answers (in typical british child accent) to unheard questions,every few montaged answers followed by the British host saying, "That is correct" (in typical adult british accent). The answers come from very different categories. So you'll hear:

The Child Perry Wepsi: "24...The Straight of Gibraltar...dalmatian puppies...Ming dynasty..."

British Announcer: "That is correct."

2 comments:

diane said...

first of all... if my name was betty, i could be petty bar.
second of all... i want to do the soundtrack for perry. theme song- funnel of love by wanda jackson.

Jared Pickney said...

hahaha... I had no idea what you were talking about when you tried explaining this to me in the hallway at Southern, but now that I understand it is hilarious!

- Pared Jickney